Friends of Spencer Park were constituted as a voluntary organisation in 2012, dedicated to the maintenance and improvement of these historic areas. An essential part of the remit of the group is to engage in public consultation over any plans made to maintain or improve the area. Please browse our website to find out more about us, what we are trying to do, and how to make your voice heard.
The chair of the Friends of Spencer Park group has produced a document called Vision for the park and plan for its future (PDF 0.1 Mb) to give you a better understanding of our aims for the park.
We raise funds to meet these aims by organising events and contacting local agencies, businesses and charities that might support the work we do.
We hold regular gardening sessions on Saturday mornings to improve the western border of the park and organize activities for adults and children such as the Big Lunch, Easter Egg Hunts and Fun Days. We also support the Bands in the Park events.
So far, we have:
- Raised money to install a playground for younger children
- Kept the tennis courts open in the summer months
- Maintained the flat green for bowling
- Provided refreshments for events including homemade cakes
- Campaigned for the tarmacking of the old tennis courts area, made consultation on its future use, and raised money for the playground markings.
We are working towards:
- Increased usage of the Flat Green, especially by the over sixties and disability groups
- The refurbishment and re-opening of the pavilion for community use … possibly with a café
- The provision of improved facilities for older children and adults
The committee works closely with other community groups such as NENA (North Earlsdon Neighbourhood Association), local schools and with Coventry City Council.
A General Meeting open to the public is held annually. The minutes of committee meetings and annual general meetings are available in News.
If you would like to be involved in our activities, want more information, or have suggestions about any of the plans above, please contact us:
Friends of Spencer Park – Registered Charity No.1176323